If you want to know about the PACER.gov or the Jaguar Priest, visit http://blog.bitwrangler.com/2017/07/07/engineer.html
My job is to be the dumbest person in theroom; I want to work with intelligent,opinionated people who can make the world alittle better. Then iterate.
PacerPro solves a terrible productivity problem with the US Courts system. PacerPro searches for, and collects documents from, PACER.gov, then distributes them to our clients. We strive to have the most accurate, up-to-date, and complete set of Ã¢ÂÂfacts on the ground.Ã¢ÂÂ The company has been in business since 2012; we have paying customers, many of them in the Am Law 100. Gavin McGrane is a very straightforward CEO, no drama. He knows the business because he (and his family) are lawyers. The company has an interesting, albeit work-a-day, future. Our mission is to make PACER documents more accessible, with less friction and lower costs. If youÃ¢ÂÂve heard of Aaron SwartzÃ¢ÂÂs efforts or the RECAP project, weÃ¢ÂÂre in a similar space, except that weÃ¢ÂÂre trying to do it in a way that is financially profitable (in the long run, anyway, thatÃ¢ÂÂs the plan).
IÃ¢ÂÂm looking for my next Ã¢ÂÂseniorÃ¢ÂÂ engineer. (IÃ¢ÂÂd like to hire a pair, but, you know, budget.) WHAT MAKES FOR AN INTERESTING CANDIDATE? ItÃ¢ÂÂs not a degree or n years of experience. PacerProÃ¢ÂÂs founders are practicing lawyers. They know their stuff. I probably have the fewest number of degrees compared to everyone else in the company. IÃ¢ÂÂm looking at the following qualities:
- You understand our business, or, if you donÃ¢ÂÂt, you have a genuine curiosity and ability to learn it. You can have conversations with our customers and stakeholders.
- You know how to research a problem. You know when to ask for help.
- You are an eternal student and teacher. You want to bring us all to the next level, as do we for you. IÃ¢ÂÂm not expecting you to be an expert in everything, but competence or the ability to spin up without too much inertia is a requirement.
- You can think beyond the current story and consider ROI.
- YouÃ¢ÂÂve shipped a real product before that you can show me.
- You have hands-on experience with our technology stack. I hear that Ã¢ÂÂfull stackÃ¢ÂÂ has become a dirty word, but we all do pretty much everything around here. Our web server is written in Ruby on Rails 4.2.x, with a smidgen of Node Express. Our front end is mostly written in ReactJS 0.14, our newer code uses Redux, with a bunch of legacy Backbone code. Yep, we got ourselves some technical debt. We know where it is (mostly) and how to fix it, given time and eyeballs.
- Expect to handle Zendesk tickets from lawyers about one day out of the week.
- You want to work using our methodologies. We are an Agile shop in a mostly XP style; we have a daily stand-up (and evening round-up), pair- programming is our default stance; we need a good reason not to pair. Test- Driven-Development is how we grow code. Clear, understandable code is more valuable than clever tricks. We do code reviews on pull requests. We pass the Ã¢ÂÂJoel Test.Ã¢ÂÂ
WeÃ¢ÂÂre not even close to huge, but weÃ¢ÂÂre not a small project any more, either. We run into scaling issues now and then, which is a good thing. WeÃ¢ÂÂre pretty good at handling them, too, which is another good thing. Our PostgreSQL database has grown to about 200GB; the S3 store has approximately 2 million documents; and, at peak, we get 500-750 requests per minute. We send out 500,000 transactional emails per month.
PacerPro is a small, distributed team. There is no physical office (at the time of this writing; we have tentative plans, fall 2017, to establish a space near the CalTrain station at 4th & King). We live in an always- on virtual space of SoCoCo and Screenhero. If you need something to be productive, weÃ¢ÂÂll reimburse you for it. Because we pair a lot, we have to work during a common, scheduled, time slot, 9:30-5:30, Pacific Time. IÃ¢ÂÂll do my best to accommodate some time shifting. Since pairing is as intense as it is productive, we work a reasonable work day. After hours and weekends are the rare exceptions, only when it canÃ¢ÂÂt be avoided.
To apply: Email me at email@example.com