This role requires up to 60% travel to Bratislava, Slovakia.
Canonical is looking for talented engineers who are excited about open source cloud computing and are ready to join a global team charged with delivering world class services to our customers. Our Dedicated Cloud Reliability Engineers (dCREs) are embedded at our customersÃ¢ÂÂ site and are responsible for providing consulting services, operating OpenStack clouds, and distilling their knowledge into our open source operations toolset. dCREs also act as the escalation point for the client and provide assistance in the form of operational expertise, engineering support, training, and mentoring.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Work on site at the client facilities in Bratislava, Slovakia, providing consulting, support, and OpenStack operational expertise.
- Extend CanonicalÃ¢ÂÂs tools to automate operations and make our managed services more stable, predictable, and more capable of running the latest cloud technologies
- Deploy, operate, and support production OpenStack clouds for CanonicalÃ¢ÂÂs clients.
- Evaluate, learn, adapt tooling, train team members, and assist with the addition of emergent technologies into our managed service offering
- Participate in troubleshooting, capacity planning, and performance analysis activities.
- Proactively update documentation, troubleshooting playbooks, policies and procedures
- Provide assistance and guidance as the escalation point for the CanonicalÃ¢ÂÂs customers, engaging
- Work collaboratively with globally distributed peers on engineering, operations, and support tasks
- Ensure all service level agreements are met
- Prioritize work appropriately to consistently achieve departmental and company goals
- Participate in an on call rotation
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Systems administration experience in a high availability environment managing large deployments
- Experience in customer facing consulting roles
- Extensive knowledge of cloud computing concepts and technologies
- Experience with OpenStack in a production environment
- Experience with Software Defined Networks
- Practical knowledge of IP networking, routing, and firewalls
- Strong scripting skills with Python
- Experience administering infrastructure services such as DNS, DHCP, TFTP, HTTP, etc.
- Able to take ownership of unfamiliar tasks and problems and see them through to completion
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively in English, especially using email and IRC
- Self-driven, able to troubleshoot and willing ask others when appropriate to find answers
- Capable of working from home full time and remain highly motivated, productive, and organized
- Familiarity with Ubuntu (or Debian)
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience with Juju and MAAS
- Experience with LXD, KVM
- Experience in a service provider environment
- Prior experience working with a globally distributed team
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply: Please apply for this job with this link: https://ldd.tbe.taleo.net/ldd03/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=CANONICAL&cws=1&rid=1252